On Saturday March 12, 2016, ProQuest will be installing critical firmware updates to its systems infrastructure. The window is scheduled to begin at 10:00 PM EDT and will last for eight (8) hours. This will effect all of our ProQuest databases, such as the Dissertations tool.
We apologize for the short notice of this maintenance window and for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks!
UAH will be on Fall Break this Thursday and Friday, October 8th and 9th. While there will be no classes, Salmon Library will be open, albeit at reduced hours on those days. We will be open from 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on the 8th and 9th. A reference librarian will still be on hand from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. as well on those days.
Happy Fall Break!
Salmon Library is excited to offer trial access throughout the month of August for Mango Languages, a leading language and culture learning resource. Mango Languages enriches lives with language and culture through self-guided courses that go beyond grammar and vocabulary, introducing language learners to a whole new world.
With apps available for Apple, Android, Kindle and Nook devices, Mango Languages has more than 70 foreign language and English as a second language courses, including unique culturally thematic specialty courses, like Medical Spanish, Soccer Celebration (Brazilian Portuguese), Endangered Languages, Pirate, Spanish for Librarians, etc. Mango also features Mango Premiere, the first of its kind program to teach language through full-length international films.
Contact Michael Manasco at Salmon Library for login details. You can email him at email@example.com, or give him a call at (256) 824-6965.
The UAH Salmon Library will observe these interim hours for May 01 – May 24, between the end of spring final exams and the start of the summer semester:
- Library: Mon-Fri, 7:30am – 6pm
- User Services desk: Mon-Fri, 7:30am – 6pm
- Archives: Mon-Fri, 9am-4pm (no change)
- Interlibrary Loan: normal hours (no change)
- Reference desk (in-person, phone, Ask Us Anything!, email, SMS): Mon-Fri, 9am – 5pm
- Reference chat: OFFLINE
During the May 01 – May 24 interim, the library will be closed on weekends, as well as May 25 (for the Memorial Day holiday).
As always, today’s hours at the library can be viewed on the library home page http://www.uah.edu/library, and upcoming hours can be viewed at http://libguides.uah.edu/hours.
If you are looking for the other departments located within the Salmon Library:
- If you need to contact the OIT Help Desk, their hours of operation can be viewed here http://www.uah.edu/oit/contact.
- Students interested in Exploratory Advising can make an appointment with the Student Success Center, as described here http://www.uah.edu/ssc.
- Charger Brew coffee shop will close at 2 PM on May 01 and will be closed for the interim and during the summer semester.
To our 2015 graduates, congratulations! And to our faculty, staff, and students, enjoy your break!
A researcher will often want to try to find articles in their field of study which are particularly useful to other scholars. But how can you find out which papers are more widely used? Join Michael Manasco and Ron Schwertfeger on April 9th to find out more!
Together, Ron and Michael will talk about Journal Citation Reports (JCR) and Scopus (two of the resources available through the UAH Library to help you with your research needs). This session will take place in Room 214 of the UAH Salmon Library, at 12 noon on April 9th.
This session is open to everyone! UAH faculty, staff and students are encouraged to bring their own laptops or tablets, as there will be some practice exercises.
Click here if you need directions to the library from off-campus.
As a part of the Finals ReCharge events at the Salmon Library at UAH, the therapy dogs (from the great folks at Therapy Partners, Inc.®) are returning to UAH on Wednesday, April 30. They will be at the UAH Library from 11 AM till 1 PM.
(Please note that the therapy dogs were originally scheduled to be at the library on Tuesday; however, with the weather-related changes to the UAH exam schedule this week, we felt that more people would be able to see the therapy dogs on Wednesday. Thus, their visit was rescheduled.)
Please stop by the Salmon Library between 11 and 1 on Wednesday to see them!
And good luck on your final exams this week!
In recognition of National Library Week (which is April 13-19 in the US), Oxford University Press is providing free access this week to many of their online resources. For more information, see the Oxford University Press page here.
Please note that these are in addition to several different Oxford online resources that you can already access through the UAH Library (some of which come to us through the Alabama Virtual Library). Those Oxford online research tools with ongoing access include:
We know that several people enjoyed seeing the information we posted for February. Without further ado, here is the same sort of quick statistics snapshot for March 2014.
The Salmon Library had 15,938 visitors in March, averaging slightly over 590 per day. (Note that the library was open for most of Spring Break.)
We checked out 1559 books during the month. We also checked out an additional 164 books/materials through Interlibrary Loan.
For non-book check-outs, we had 114 laptop/iPad checkouts and 304 checkouts of other materials (markers, keyboards, and so forth usually for our study rooms). Also, those study rooms were checked out 324 times.
- The laptops and study rooms can be checked out at the User Services desk for a period of three hours. Books are checked out based on status, from 28 days for Undergrads to 90 days for grads to 1 year for staff and faculty. See User Services Guide for more information [or call them at (256)824-6530]
- Also, iPads can be checked out for up to five days. Again, see the User Services Guide for more information [or call (256)824-6530].
- If you need a group study area but the study rooms are all in use, there’s still hope! Check to see if the media:scape study areas or if any of the group study tables & monitors are available. (Both can be found on the 1st floor of the library, in the North tower. If your computer or tablet does not have an HDMI output connection, check with the User Services desk at the front of the library to see if we have the appropriate connector in stock.)
Security Management Practices (SMP) is an expert resource on the Web for learning about how to confront and manage organizational risk, plan for disruptions, deploy network security appliances, employ biometric technologies, safeguard intellectual property, establish security best practices, protect and train students, staff and much more. Click the link below to try it out!
Don’t forget- Salmon Library will be closed for the Labor Day Holiday on Sunday, September 2nd and Monday, September 3rd. We will resume our regular hours on Tuesday, September 4th. Enjoy your long weekend! More information about our hours can be found here: http://libguides.uah.edu/hours
Have a safe holiday and we’ll see you September 4th!