The Salmon Library User Services Desk has now started offering onshelf holds. What this means for you is that you can browse our catalog after signing into your account, find the book you want, and then place it on hold. You can mark up to five titles as such, and they will be held for up to five days. You will receive an email when the hold is available at the desk.
There are a number of factors that can impact how long that takes, including if the book is currently checked out (in which case, it will be held when it gets brought back). If the held book is on the shelf when the hold is placed, it will be brought down to User Services the next day. If you need a book more immediately, you are of course welcome to skip the hold and to grab the book off the shelf and check it out right away. Onshelf holds are meant more to reserve a book you plan to pick up in a day or two.
For information, see Placing Holds and Recalls, which includes a .docx file showing the steps. You can also call User Services at (256)824-6530.
What to look for if you are placing a hold.
We know that several people enjoyed seeing the information we posted for February. Without further ado, here is the same sort of quick statistics snapshot for March 2014.
The Salmon Library had 15,938 visitors in March, averaging slightly over 590 per day. (Note that the library was open for most of Spring Break.)
We checked out 1559 books during the month. We also checked out an additional 164 books/materials through Interlibrary Loan.
For non-book check-outs, we had 114 laptop/iPad checkouts and 304 checkouts of other materials (markers, keyboards, and so forth usually for our study rooms). Also, those study rooms were checked out 324 times.
- The laptops and study rooms can be checked out at the User Services desk for a period of three hours. Books are checked out based on status, from 28 days for Undergrads to 90 days for grads to 1 year for staff and faculty. See User Services Guide for more information [or call them at (256)824-6530]
- Also, iPads can be checked out for up to five days. Again, see the User Services Guide for more information [or call (256)824-6530].
- If you need a group study area but the study rooms are all in use, there’s still hope! Check to see if the media:scape study areas or if any of the group study tables & monitors are available. (Both can be found on the 1st floor of the library, in the North tower. If your computer or tablet does not have an HDMI output connection, check with the User Services desk at the front of the library to see if we have the appropriate connector in stock.)
Here is a quick statistics snapshot looking back at some numbers for February 2014.
The Salmon Library had 16, 940 visitors in February, an average of slightly over 675 per day.*
We checked out 1293 books during the month. We also checked out an additional 158 books/materials through Interlibrary Loan.
For non-book check-outs, we had 131 laptop checked out and 240 checkouts of other materials (markers, keyboards, and so forth usually for our study rooms). Speaking of our study rooms, those were checked out 267 times.
- the laptops and study rooms can be checked out at the User Services desk for a period of three hours. Books are checked out based on status, from 28 days for Undergrads to 90 days for grads to 1 year for staff and faculty. See User Services Guide for more information [or call them at (256)824-6530]
- Interlibrary Loan allows our students, faculty, and staff to request materials to which we do not have immediate access. See the Interlibrary Loan Guide to see more.
* As a special note, keep in mind that the library was closed along with the rest of the campus on February 11-13 due to snowstorms. The “per day” average will be figured for 25 days due to this (naturally). The weather for the month in general would have had other impacts on our system, but I’ll avoid speculation.
Three computer-equipped group study rooms, or smart study rooms, are now available for check-out for groups of two or more UAH students. They are all located on the first floor and the room numbers are 122 and 123 (next to the InfoArcade) and 131 (around the corner from Charger Brew coffee shop). Room 112 (around the corner from the User Services desk) will be available at a later date. For more details on these rooms, please check out our new page here.